Raving Conservative

Google

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Black Awards

I just learned about a new awards show called the Black Movie Awards. Before I get started on this rant let me make it known that to all that I don’t really care what ethnicity wants to do what for its own, just as long as every ethnicity gets the same privilege.

This is the latest in the ongoing rounds of ethnocentric organizations, awards, and clubs. Now, while I fully understand that people want to recognize the achievements of those in their own community, and am fine with that, I don’t like the way it is being imposed in such an overtly racist manner.

How you say?

Answer me this; where are the White Movie Awards? What about the National Association for the Advancement of Non-Colored People? How about the United Cracker College Fund? They don’t exist, and they will not exist because they are “racist”.

Is it just me, or does the term “racist” only seem to apply to white people, and white men in particular? Years ago I was called a racist because I said I didn’t think I could marry a black woman (Boy did I ever miff THAT one up. Guess what color my wife is.) Exclusively white clubs were all branded as racist and either diversified or disbanded. (I’ll get to the REAL racist groups later.) All male clubs and organizations were sued into including women. Eventually we wound up with almost nothing but a healthily diversified mix nearly everywhere.

So now what happens? All black organizations, awards shows, clubs, and funds are everywhere, but if white people try to do the same thing we would instantly get branded as racists. By this definition every one of these all-black groups is racist. Something doesn’t add up here.

Here are a few genuinely racist groups: The KKK, the Black Panthers, all Neo-Nazi groups everywhere, the Nation of Islam, and every street gang in America of any ethnicity. How do ethnic awards and clubs equate to these foul groups?

In short; they don’t.

There is nothing inherently racist is people forming ethnic clubs and whatnot, it only becomes racists when the IDEOLOGY of exclusion and hate pops up and starts to shape the direction of the group. Let people celebrate themselves. Let them have pride in their ancestors and their community. But also let them have this same pride in the greater community and our diverse history as a nation. It is good for people to have heroes they can identify with. I greatly admire Harriet Tubbman, but my ancestors worked with her, they weren’t freed by her, so what she means to me is by nature going to be something less than what she means to a black person. The same goes for all of the great civil rights leaders of the past. Rosa Parks, to me, is a woman who simply asserted her right as a human being. What she did, and the revolution she sparked did not do for me what it did for the Black community. The jerk who insisted on taking her seat is, to me, not just a racist, but a man who lacks chivalry since he had the GALL to insist that a woman get up so he could take her seat and not the other way around. To the black community he is a symbol of hundreds of years of white oppression that has finally been set right, or mostly right. It’s just differences. I see no reason why we can’t celebrate these differences from all sides while also celebrating our similarities. We’re all the same inside after all.

6 Comments:

  • This is a most excellent post! You are one smart guy! You have become one of my heroes! (Don't blush, it's cute but not necessary.)

    I came here to tell you how much I appreciated your last comment on Let Our Voices Be Heard, and then I read this wonderful piece you wrote and was absolutely overwhelmed by it's brilliance. You keep going guy. You just might actually be president someday! But like I said before, I don't know why anyone in their right mind would want that thankless job! I guess it's a good thing that some people are willing to take it on!

    Kudos! Warm Fuzzies and big strong bear hugs! You have excelled!

    Hooah! :)

    By Blogger Gayle, at 11:06 PM  

  • Bravo on your last paragraph. And I agree with Gayle: it takes some serious fortitude to be President these days. A very thankless job that doesn't pay enough.

    One quick quibble (of course): organizations like the NAACP and United Negro College Fund exist because when they filled a need. It's not really very fair to bemoan the lack of "white" organizations when "whites" had a near deathlock on the country up until about 40 years ago. Those groups exist to extend opportunity where it doesn't exist.

    Again, that last paragraph was a gem. Nice work!

    By Blogger Samurai Sam, at 1:45 PM  

  • I agree with you Daniel. Organizations created out of neccessity are now nothing but segregation themselves. Recently the National Association of Black Pilots held an event... and guess what? No little white kids got the free airline lessons.
    To be expected.
    But can you imagine a Natl. Association of White pilots?
    Of course not.
    In another 20 years or so, it wouldn't be off-the-map to expect a civil rights movement for whites.

    By Blogger Rebekah, at 4:28 PM  

  • I have a forum, a nice CONSERVATIVE forum, and I was getting a ton of hate mail for a while, calling me a racist, telling me I had NO IDEA what it was like for Blacks in the DEEP SOUTH...

    UhHuh, I was raised in Louisiana and Mississippi, and I have NO idea what the DEEP SOUTH was like back then... I was born in 1953 and I remember it ALL, quite well, and not saying I agree with it either but hey, let me find a United Caucasian College Fund for MY kids...

    Oh, and the hate mail was from a libber in Boston... I do have an IP Locator too... One of the advantages of being a web master...

    American Conservative Forums ®
    And THAT is MY Opinion... by TexasFred

    By Blogger TexasFred, at 10:42 PM  

  • I actually searched google for "national association of non-colored people" and found this. Never have I seen the same thoughts I've had for years constructed so well.

    However, people in the US would find this racist. And that disgusts me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:22 PM  

  • I meant "national association for the advancement of non-colored people"...by the way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Listed on BlogShares