Raving Conservative

Google

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Cheap, Cheap Guns

I came across the crappiest pistol ever. For legal purposes I will withhold the name since I am about to blast everything about it.

This handgun was the most hideous, clunky thing I have ever seen. It was an absolute disgrace to handgun design with oversized everything that looked slapped together from mismatched parts.

This handgun was so badly constructed that a brand-new, never been used one rattles when it is shaken. Not the magazine rattles, although it does, the insides of the pistol itself rattle as though a single shot could separate them.

This handgun is cheap. How cheap? How does around $140 in a market where guns cost 30-50% above the national average sound? It’s so cheap that I just had to ask about it, and soon regretted doing so.

There is only one reason I can think of why such a piece of crap would be made and sold. The company must be targeting thugs and criminals as its customer base. Who else would want a cheap throw-away gun that couldn’t possibly last through years of proper use? A thug planning a small-time job can go to the gun shop, buy this POS, use it in the crime, then destroy it or throw it away without really losing anything.

I have evidence that this is true! There is a guy locally who buys three or four of these things every year. Now if he’s not reselling them to felons and desperate men or using them in crimes I will eat my hat. Nobody who can afford to spend $400 a year on the same POS pistol would buy this thing for himself. He would buy something nice that will last and perform well.

I love guns, but that doesn’t mean there should be a company making guns specifically for the criminal element. Make nice guns. Slap a slightly higher price tag on them so that at least if some crook buys it and uses it in a crime he’ll think twice before throwing his investment away.

7 Comments:

  • It's a .40 cal acp.

    By Blogger Daniel Levesque, at 6:56 PM  

  • Perhaps made for criminals, perhaps not. Not to disagree, but maybe they make it for poor people.
    The left uses the same argument on "saturday night specials".
    I would rather have that POS than a rolled up newspaper.
    Maybe that's the only thing a fixed-income grandma can afford.

    No offense, but we should exercise caution when saying "those types of guns" should be outlawed, regardless of what "those types" are.
    Slippery slope and all.

    Regards,
    CUG

    By Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy, at 1:53 AM  

  • BTW, where are these sub-$100 SKS's?
    I haven't seen them that cheap since before the "assault weapons" ban.
    Did they get cheaper since the ban expired? I haven't looked for a while...

    By Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy, at 1:55 AM  

  • CUG- you make a good point, but don't put words in my mouth. I never said they should be banned. I said the manufacturer should make a better gun and charge more for it. The manufacturer should do it voluntarily. It's ridiculous to suggest banning inexpensive guns for the reasons you just stated. Also, I just paid $160 for an SKS myself not two weeks ago.

    By Blogger Daniel Levesque, at 6:10 AM  

  • The thing about this particular brand, what the heck, Hi-Lite, that gets to me is the sheer hideousness and poor construction of this weapon that would scare off anyone who wants a keeper. Also, something like 80% of the crimes committed with guns involve handguns. This is why I am unconcerned with inexpensive rifles. It's just plain harder to conceal big guns and potential victims would see the crook coming. That's why handguns get used in so many crimes. It took moving to Alaska and finally seeing pistols being used for something other than killing people to convince me that they deserve the same protection under the Second Amendment as other guns. I have been a gun advocate my whole adult life, but Alaska is actually responsible for battering down the last of my misconceptions abut guns from my liberal youth. I may have overreacted when I saw and held this POS, but it didn't help that there was a really nice .30 cal semi auto Beretta for only $80 more sitting right next to it. Given the choice and limited funds I would choose the better gun for $80 more, especially if I was a granny as CUG mentioned.

    By Blogger Daniel Levesque, at 7:15 AM  

  • why do you love guns?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 AM  

  • sounds like a high point 40cal to me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Listed on BlogShares