Raving Conservative

Google

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Harriet Miers Withdraws Her Nomination to SCOTUS

You may have already heard that Harriet Miers has withdrawn he nomination to the Supreme Court, basically claiming it was meeting too much opposition in the way of demanded documents. I have mixed feelings about this.

The left is celebrating their victory in preventing the confirmation of one of Bush's Supreme Court niminess without even needing to let it hit the Senate floor. Their hatred of Bush transcends reason and any wound they can inflict on his administration is hailed as a freat victory. To listen to the left it is appaerrent that they were very concerned about her religious views because your typical Evangelical Christian (like me) is very pro-life among other things the left opposes.

The right is breathing a great sigh of relief because most of us were uncertain about how conservative she is at best, and terrified of what liberalism may lurk within her at worst. While Bush has a wonderful track record on Judges so far, and has earned our trust and respect in that department he stretched us to our limits by asking us to support a former liberal with an unknown judicial philosophy.

For my part I was willing to give her a chance to at least plead her case before the Judiciary Committee. The American center for Law and Justice, whom I trust in all things judicial, gave her their endorsement the same day she was nominated. For me there is no higher endorsement than the ACLJ for judges and lawyers, so I was giving my support to Harriet Miers at least until I got to see how she conducted herself at the hearings.

At the same time I wanted, and still want Janice Rogers Brown on the Supreme Court. I want her Circuit Court seat filled by Miguel Estrada. So I am glad to know that there is another chance for this to happen. At the same time I would get loads of laughs out of it if Bush nominated John Ashcroft, just because it would be hilarious to see the Democrats screaming and sputtering in rage at the nomination of a man they seem to think is the Devil himself.

So I am torn. I am sad to see the nomination fizzle before it really got a chance, but I am glad to know that a judge with a known conservative constructionist philosophy is likely to be nominated next (Janice Rogers Brown please!). It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

6 Comments:

  • Ahh.... so nice to see eye to eye with someone.

    and yes.. I'd love to trade links :)

    By Blogger Nunzia, at 4:29 PM  

  • Daniel, you said:
    "The left is celebrating their victory in preventing the confirmation..."

    And while I, for one, AM glad that she didn't make it for various reasons, it was certainly not the left that put a stop on this nomination and, myself, I've found the left curiously quiet on this one (I've supposed they were glad to see the Right do the work for them/us).

    And so, I am just curious: Have you actually seen or read some left celebration on this topic?

    By Blogger Dan Trabue, at 7:43 AM  

  • Dan,
    Yes, mostly on the blogs.

    By Blogger Daniel Levesque, at 9:35 AM  

  • Hey,
    Don't blame us for this one. Bush shot himself in the foot. And, yes, I despise Bush for picking Miers because it put me on the same side of the argument as Ann Coulter. Don't know if I can wash that kind of metaphysical filth off...

    By Blogger Samurai Sam, at 12:13 PM  

  • I think your wrong on this one. First of all the left isn't celebrating, and second, but most important, it wasn't the left that brought about or even desired her withdrawal. I think had she been allowed to go through the process she would have been confirmed.
    It was the far right that brought her down. And they are quite happy and proud of having done so. In fact their all over FOX explaing and celebrating their victory. In fact it was conservative bloggers who made the biggest stink over her nomination. We in the middle and on the left were quite happy to watch the right as they tore into the President they so love. It was very amusing to watch Limpbaugh and Coulter diss Bush. Speaking of Coulter did you perchance see her on O'Reilly yesterday laughing and quite proud of her part in getting Miers pulled? Yet less than a month ago she was calling Bush a dumbass.
    Nope the left can't take credit for this one.

    By Blogger wanda, at 11:33 AM  

  • I agree that conservatives played a huge role in torpedoing the Miers nomination. It still doesn't change the fact that the liberals are happy for the victory though.

    By Blogger Daniel Levesque, at 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Listed on BlogShares