Raving Conservative

Google

Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Fascinating Development on the Campaign Front

This is important, so the next Chapter of The Journey will be put up Saturday instead of Friday.

Something happened today that I never dreamed would happen in a million years, and it has to do with the very first person who volunteered to work on my campaign for Governor of Alaska. This is going to shock the heck out of my regular readers.

I had a man volunteer to act my campaign treasurer. I will withhold his name in this post because I do not know if he would want it plastered on the internet for all to see. It’s not the fact that he volunteered that is so fascinating, it his background and who he is that is truly ironic for me.

He is a 24 year survivor of aids who is a homosexual and a Jehovah’s Witness.

When we were talking about his desire to volunteer and he revealed this I thought it was vital to inform him that I did not approve of the homosexual lifestyle and asked if that would be a problem for him. His answer amazed me.

He said, and this is condensed paraphrase, “I believe that people can be born gay, but the Bible says we should not act on it. I have not lived like a gay man since I caught AIDS. My Church, the Jehovah’s Witnesses are very critical of Homosexuality, so your disapproval doesn’t bother me.” He went on to explain that he caught AIDS as a result of an accidental needle stick back in the mid-80’s when he was working as an EMT, told about his volunteerism in the local AIDS support center, and so-on.

Now, some of my regular readers are certainly expecting to hear that I turned his offer to volunteer down outright. I did not. I accepted his offer.

How can I do this after I have been so critical of homosexuality you ask? Simple; and it is something I have been saying all along. Believing that an action is wrong does not equate to hatred or devaluing of persons. He has some bookkeeping background. He wants to work for me as a volunteer. He knows where I stand on Homosexuality and it has not deterred him. Why would I not accept his offer?

The best part is that this is my first chance to learn about the AIDS epidemic from someone who has been affected by it. Most of us never meet someone we know for a fact has AIDS. This man is able to give me information from the inside about the problems and concerns facing the portion of the population that is suffering from AIDS. As someone who wants to be President one day this understanding is vital to helping shape a policy that may one day help to wipe AIDS off the face of the planet.

All of this is a bit mind-blowing to me. But in all honesty, I am kind of glad that I have the opportunity to work with somebody like this man. I can learn so much. On top of that, this situation was an in my face test of my character. When faced with such a man as this would I behave the way I have been saying people would behave, or would I turn as harsh towards the man as I am to the action.

By the grace of God I have done the right thing, and I am pleased.

12 Comments:

  • Actually, I'm shocked that as a Jehovah's witness he would associate with politics in any way. That is a big no no. I've lived next door to two different witnesses for the majority of my life, and like to think I've heard it all, and one thing they comment on frequently is my political leanings.

    But, contrary to the previous poster, other than the sad lack of Christmas lights, which always depressed me, they are very, very nice people.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:38 AM  

  • April Fools Day was last week. :-)

    By Blogger DanProject76, at 12:05 PM  

  • Hate the sin,
    Love the sinner,
    Forgive Always.

    By Blogger Tom, at 12:06 PM  

  • I am aware of the theological differences between Jehovas Witnesses and my own Evangelical Christianity. I find them to be no reason to discriminate against them politically, as volunteers, or employeees.

    DP76,

    This isn't a joke.

    Tom,

    Right on brother!

    By Blogger Daniel Levesque, at 3:09 PM  

  • While I am pleased you are being halfway sensible I know that you are still repulsed by him but you cannot help your odd attitude any more than a leopard can change its spots. I just hope that your 'Christian' judgemental side will give way to a more human approach where you can truly take people as individuals.

    I don't judge Bible-bashers just because they live their lives according to some rules in a book. I judge them by their actions...

    By Blogger DanProject76, at 9:49 AM  

  • Just to Danny Haszard...
    I don't know much about Jehovah's Witnesses, but since Seventh Day Adventists spun off the Millerites, I'd like to point out some things real quick...

    The Millerite movement started with William Miller's misinterpretation of the 2300 day prophecy as Jesus coming in 1844.
    After the Great Disappointment, the accepted belief of Adventists(the main 'spin-off' from the Millerites) became that Jesus entered the Sanctuary and began judging Earth in 1844.

    Many of William Miller's original beliefs(Seventh Day Sabbath, Coming Second Advent, etc.) still define the Adventists today, but modern Millerites and Jehovah's Witnesses have nothing to do with Adventists, who are generally considered mainstream evangelical Christians.

    By Blogger Rebekah, at 5:02 PM  

  • Thanks for being compassionate and broad minded.

    By Blogger Rick's Corner, at 8:49 PM  

  • DP76,

    "While I am pleased you are being halfway sensible I know that you are still repulsed by him"

    Once again, you are getting behavior and persons confused. I am not repulsed by him, and I cannot even condemn any actions of his because he has remained chaste for the last 24 years.

    And just so you know, I am not repulsed by you either. However, I do condemn your choice to live the homosexual lifesyle.

    By Blogger Daniel Levesque, at 1:16 AM  

  • Oh how boring!

    The ridiculous Republican Lie...

    'The Lifestyle Choice' is so f*cking boring, mate. Get a new line.

    I don't look down on people who 'choose' Jesus, Buddha, Allah or any of the other real genuine lifestyle choices with no inverted commas out there. I just don't like bigoted idiots who can't think for themselves.

    And no, I am not calling you an idiot. I may be thinking it though! :-)

    By Blogger DanProject76, at 7:47 AM  

  • daniel-good choice! the fact that you can accept different people in your life is a great thing for people to know!!

    By Blogger Libby, at 8:30 AM  

  • DP76,

    "The ridiculous Republican Lie..."

    Wrong again. Condemning behavior instead of people is a Christian teaching, and it is a principle I live by.

    By Blogger Daniel Levesque, at 8:35 AM  

  • If you had read my post you should have worked out that the Lie is the old tale of the 'Lidetyle Choice.'

    I know Christians can't help themselves with the whole 'love the sinner/hate the sin' thing so I wouldn't get annoyed at that.

    By Blogger DanProject76, at 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Listed on BlogShares