Raving Conservative

Google

Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Colbert Report

One of my guilty pleasures is watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart on Comedy Central. I find him funny, decent, and just plain all right. I don’t agree with his liberal views, but he makes fun of anything rather than just viciously attacking conservatives, and sometimes he actually makes a good, funny point. Stephen Colbert was a funny and integral part of the show who added a whole dimension of funny to the mix.

So I decided to give his new show, The Colbert Report a chance. Here’s what I think:

He’s having a tough time of it. I am finding that while he is knee-slappingly funny in small doses, Stephen Colbert gets monotonous, and even annoying at times in large ones. His style of spoof-reporting runs thin after getting a full dose.

His show is loosely modeled after the O’Reilly Factor, covering the news from topic to topic with his talking points at the beginning and guests later. Unlike the O’Reilly Factor, this show starts strong and ends weak.

It seems that Stephen Colbert is having trouble finding enough news stories to fit his particular style of mockery. I have seen him visibly struggle to keep going, and watched him anger his guests. I have also seen him run a smooth, hilarious commentary and play perfectly off his guests. I have seen both in a single episode. Only time will tell if he will sparkle, or fade to black. In the meantime, I’ve quit watching.

6 Comments:

  • Although Colbert seems to be right leaning, I'll agree that he's missing something that Stewart has. But I can't quite put my finger on what it is...

    By Blogger Cody O'Connor, at 9:03 AM  

  • Perhaps Mr. Colbert can add a segment where he makes fun of political bloggers?

    I like Jon Stewart too, funny man.

    By Blogger Carol ReMarks, at 11:00 AM  

  • I don't care for either one of them but we can only handle so many of these spoof shows, you know?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:25 PM  

  • cody: what you might be missing is that Colbert is anything but right-leaning. He's doing a not-so-funny parody of right-wing commentators, in which he takes on a character who is completely self-centered and simplistic in his anger about whatever the news of the day might be.

    Like Daniel says, he's funnier in small doses.

    By Blogger catastrophile, at 2:32 PM  

  • Although Colbert seems to be right leaning, I'll agree that he's missing something that Stewart has. But I can't quite put my finger on what it is...

    He's not Jewish?

    By the way, his schtick is to seem right leaning. It's satire. It's a play on O'Rielly and Fox News in general. It's hit or miss. Sometimes it's very funny, sometimes not so much.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:59 PM  

  • Sadly, Colbert is on too late for me so I've only seen his show a few times. I barely make it through The Daily Show.
    If you have the chance, pick up Stewart's book "America: The Book". It's great, regardless of what side of the aisle you're on.

    I agree with the consensus on Colbert: his right-leaning is parody and he's funnier in small doses.

    By Blogger Samurai Sam, at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Listed on BlogShares